To stay in Germany for more than 90 days as a student, you are required to get a Germany Student Visa or residence permit.
You will need to prove to the visa officer that you have finances for one year. The amount would be €685 – €750 per month or €8,220 per annum. A residence permit issued to students is valid for a maximum of two years. It needs to be renewed if the duration of the course is longer than the stated two years.
Cost of Germany Student Visa
A Residence Permit costs up to €110. It can take a long time to be issued, which is anywhere between eight to 12 weeks. Since this means two to three months, international students are advised to apply as soon as possible.
Documents For Germany student visa checklist
You will have to apply for your Germany Student Visa in person. Visa fees amount to €60 (to be paid in INR). In addition, you should provide two sets of application documents photocopies containing the following documents:
- Valid passport
- Copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
- Application form
- A declaration stating the information provided is true and complete information
- Cover Letter explaining the reason for your visa application. You may be required to submit a German translation of this document.
- Letter of Admission from a German University
- University Certificates and transcripts – Degree certificates and mark sheets
- Proof of Language Proficiency (German language test scores). Applicants for Ph.D. studies and Erasmus Mundus Scholarship holders are exempt from this rule.
- Proof of funds
- 3 passport pictures according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
- Demand Draft
How to apply For Germany Student Visa
- As soon as you have received the admission letter from your German university, please prepare the necessary documentation for your visa application mentioned above.
- Procure photos which meet biometric photos requirements as specified here.
- Fill out the Application form for National Visa. Print it out, sign it and submit it along with the other documents.
- Please print out the Declaration on true and complete information, and sign it.
- Schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the German Mission.
- Shortly before your appointment, verify the current exchange rate for your visa fee on the official German Mission website and obtain the Demand Draft.
Spouses and children may be permitted to reside in Germany while you study, but this is conditional. These conditions include having enough and appropriate financing and a living space. Cases are decided on an individual basis at the Germany embassy, and special consideration may be given to your case if you are able to explain your situation to the Consulate effectively.
According to German visa rules, a student can work 180 days halftime or 90 days full time in an academic year. Presently, Germany is the only country where a student can do a part-time technical job in the related industry. Some universities also offer part-time jobs on campus called as Hi/wi. Students will have to contact the institute’s student placement cell to get into this job.
Where to apply
German Embassy, New Delhi
No. 6/50G, Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021
Tel: (0091-11) 44199 199
Fax Visa & Consular Section: (0049-30) 1817 67239
German Consulate General in Bengaluru
2nd & 3rd floor, “Cash Pharmacy Building”
Corner St. Mark’s Road & Residency Road
Bengaluru 560 025
Tel: +91-80-45 300 100
German Consulate General in Chennai
No. 9, Boat Club Road, R.A. Puram
Chennai 600 028, Tamil Nadu, India
Tel.: +91-44-2430 1600
Fax: +91-44-24349495 (Visa & Consular)
German Consulate General Kolkata
1 Hastings Park Road, Alipore, Kolkata 700027
Tel: +91-(0)33-2479 1142/ 2439 8906
Visa Hotline: +91-(0)33-2479 1141
Mon-Thu: 0900-1000h and 1300-1400h,
German Consulate General in Mumbai
Hoechst House, 10th Floor, 193 Backbay Reclamation,
Mumbai 400 021
Visa and Consular Department:
Arcadia Building, Ground Floor,
NCPA Marg, 195 Nariman Point,
Mumbai 400 021
Tel: +91 222283 0301/2283 9834 – 35
World-class education teamed up with economical expenditure makes Germany one of the most preferred destinations for international students. Also, there are a lot of scholarships offered by various institutions which can help you in funding your education. We have listed below top scholarships for pursuing higher education in Germany.